Follow the step by step visual guide underneath to help you sew I AM Jain, the original top and dress from the collection I AM IN AFRICA. We have put the written explications first and then below we added the picture to illustrate each step.
Si vous n’avez pas encore le patron I AM Jain, découvrez-le ici.
CUTTING THE FABRIC
Cut the fabric following the cutting plan.
Make notches as shown on the pattern and also on fabric folds: center fronts and backs.
The positioning of the different pattern pieces is the same for all versions as the pattern pieces are elongated or shortened depending on the desired version.
ASSEMBLING THE BODICE
1) Place a sleeve and the front of the bodice right sides together and pin in place. Sew at 3/8″.
2) Overlock and iron the seam allowance downwards.
3) Repeat those steps for the back of the bodice. Sew the other sleeve following the same instructions.
ASSEMBLING THE FACING
4) Overlock the facings at the shoulders and along the outside line.
5) Place the front and the back facings right sides together and align them at the shoulders. Pin in place and sew at 3/8″.
6) Iron the seams towards the back.
SEWING THE NECKLINE
7) Place the facing and the neckline right sides together. Align the centers and match up the shoulder seams with the shoulder notches. Pin in place and stitch at 3/8″.
8) To sew the slit on the center front, stop stitching 3/16″ before reaching the center front. Pivot the fabric to create a right angle. Sew for 5″. Pivot again and sew 3/8″ before pivoting again towards the neckline to finish sewing it.
9) Then, cut the slit from the neckline along the center front and stop at 3/8″ from the seam. From there cut at an angle until reaching the corners of the seam.
10) Notch the curves.
11) Turn inside out and iron to maintain the facing inside the garment. Topstitch at 3/16″ all around the neckline.
Hand stitch the facing at each of the shoulder seams to help maintain it inside.
SEWING THE SIDES
12) Place the front and the back right sides together and pin along the side seam and the sleeve making sure to match up the underarm seams. Sew at 3/8″.
13) Make a notch at the angle.
14) Overlock. Repeat for the other side.
SEWING THE HEM
15) At the bottom of the garment, fold 3/8″ and iron. Fold again 3/4″ and iron to prepare the hem. Pin in place.
16) Topstitch at 2 mm all around.
SEWING THE SLEEVES:
FOR THE LONG SLEEVE VERSIONS
17) At the bottom of each sleeve, fold and iron 3/8″ and then 3/4″ to prepare the hem.
18) Pin in place and topstitch at 2 mm. Make sure to leave an opening of 2″ in order to insert the elastic tape.
19) Insert the elastic tape and pull it all the way. Make sure not to twist it up inside.
20) Superimpose both extremities of the elastic tape over 3/4″ and sew them together thoroughly.
21) Set the elastic tape free and close the opening.
FOR THE SHORT SLEEVE VERSION
22) At the bottom of each sleeve, fold 3/8″ and iron. Fold again 3/4″ and iron to prepare the hem. Pin in place and topstitch at 2 mm all around.
Congratulations, you’ve finished your creation. Post it on social media with: @iam_patterns, #iampatterns and #iamjain